Privacy notice

Privacy notice

We require your personal data to provide you with support and advice to help you to adapt your home for your needs. We will use it to:

  • Assess your eligibility for a grant
  • Identify if you’ve previously had a grant
  • Complete works needed to your home
  • Refer you to other services who can help you to remain independent in your home (with your agreement)

As a shared service operating across Cambridge, South Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire, your information will be accessible to the council officers who process the grant application to pay for your work. 

We will only ask for relevant information, and we will only keep your information where it is lawful for us to do so.

As part of the grant application process, we will if necessary contact your landlord and other council services such as planning or building control on your behalf. If you are required to make a financial contribution towards the work, we will try to identify agencies and charities that may be able to help with the cost.

If any of the information we have about you is incorrect, please tell us – we rely on you helping us to keep your information accurate and up to date.

Provision of personal information

This is a statutory duty as laid out in the Housing Grants, Construction and Regeneration Act 1996, so we cannot process your request or application unless you provide the personal information we ask for.

If you do not provide the information we need, or if you refuse to allow us to share it, we will not be able to carry out the service for you and cannot be held responsible for any consequences to you of it not being carried out.

If we cannot retain, transfer and process your data, we will not be able to meet the mandatory requirements of a grant application or fulfil our contractual duties as a shared service.

In this case we would not be able to complete the adaptations needed to your home, which may in turn affect your future safety in your home.

Your rights

You hold the following rights with regard to the personal data you provide us:

  • Right to access – You have the right to access (receive a copy) of your personal data and supplementary information
  • Right to rectification – You have the right to have any inaccurate or incomplete personal data rectified
  • Right to object to us processing your personal data where you have an objection on “grounds relating to your particular situation”
  • Right to restriction – You have the right to request a restriction of the processing of your personal data in situations where it is inaccurate, unlawful, and no longer needed for the purposes for which it was originally collected, or if you withdraw consent

Sharing your information

We might share your personal data with:

  • Cambridge City Council, South Cambridgeshire District Council or Huntingdonshire District Council – for building control, planning, proof of benefits or to process the grant application
  • Cambridgeshire County Council – usually social services
  • Your landlord or property owner
  • The Land Registry
  • Cambridgeshire and Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust
  • The contractor selected to complete your work
  • Specialist advisors – for example, structural engineers or power networks

We might process the information you provide to prevent and detect fraud in our systems. We might also supply it to government agencies, credit reference agencies, auditors or other external bodies for such purposes. We participate in the government’s National Fraud Initiative.

We do not routinely process any information about you outside the UK. We will not transfer your personal data outside of the EU.

The services listed above can change to another provider as part of a contract-renewal process. If this happens, we will share your information with the organisation that has replaced the one on the above list.

Retention of your information

We only keep your information for as long as necessary – in some cases this will be dictated by law.

We usually retain information relating to Disabled Facilities Grants for six years, although some elements of the process can require longer or shorter retention periods.

For example, if you have to pay a land charge after the works are completed, we will retain your information for a number of years beyond the point when the charge is repaid.

Contact us

If you have any questions about your rights, contact us at or 01954 713318.

Further information

Cambridge City Council is a registered Data Controller with the Information Commissioner’s Office.

You have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office if you believe any part of this statement to be unlawful.