Call us on 01954 713330

Calls are charged at local rate when calling from Cambourne and at 01 national rates if you live outside Cambourne (applies to mobiles or landlines)


Replacing rainwater goods
Keep warm & dry
Make your home safe
Save money on energy bills
Is your home damp?
Replacement boilers

You are here

Maintaining, repairing and improving your home can be essential to ensure that it is safe, comfortable and continues to meet your needs.

Cambs HIA can provide information, advice and guidance about funding available to help you keep your home well maintained.

Items that need regular checks include:


Check your roof – repair any leaks with suitable roof covering

  • Clear all debris/leaves from gutters
  • Touch up external painting/varnishing (every 5 years)
  • Clean PVCu windows & lubricate hinges and stays


Re-seal all junctions of windows and doors with suitable filler or sealant, and replace draught- proofing

  • Trim tree branches that have grown over your roof
  • Ensure the chimney is cleaned by a chimney sweep
  • Remove soil from external walls to maintain a distance of 150mm (6 inches) from ground level to damp proof course
  • Service your boiler by a ‘Gas Safe’ registered contractor & bleed radiators to remove air.


Inspect floorboards & fill any holes or cracks

  • Make sure vents are free from dust/debris
  • Check and replace carbon monoxide & smoke alarm batteries
  • Repair any cracks, holes or crevices that are not part of your home ventilation system


Check exposed water pipes & taps and insulate them if necessary

  • Check plumbing for leaks
  • Seal gaps around baths, wash hand basins and showers with suitable filler or sealant
  • Remove combustible materials or inflammable liquids situated near boilers

"I am writing to express my profound gratitude for the job [that] has been done... at my home. Now I really enjoy living in my house. That would not be possible without the Home Repair Assistance Grant." - Mr K

Will I qualify?

Your eligibility and the amount of funding you can apply for will depend on where you live and may be subject to a means test. If you are receiving a means tested benefit you will almost certainly qualify for assistance.

Contact us to make an enquiry to check your eligiblility:

Phone01954 713330

emailgeneral enquiry form


Funding available?

Each local authority offers discretionary funding to help owner occupiers and tenants with repairing responsibility carry out essential repairs to their homes. How the funding is offered may be different depending on where you live and may be subject to a legal charge on your home.

For more information:

Phone01954 713330

emailgeneral enquiry form

© Cambridgeshire Home Improvement Agency

Huntingdonshire Council Cambridge City Council South Cambridgeshire District Council